23 / 11 / 2017 Midday
Ambulance employers, national trade unions and NHS Employers have progressed the requirements of the national agreement on Band 6 paramedics, which recognises the additional responsibilities and knowledge needed by paramedics to carry out increasing amounts of clinical work.
Agreement has now been reached on:
- a fast track scheme for Newly Qualified Paramedics (NQP) Consolidation of Learning Programme
- a national Band 6 paramedic job description.
In addition, agreement has been reached to pay newly qualified paramedics a Band 6 salary, who were employed between 1 September 2016 and 31 March 2017 and were impacted by the retrospective application of the national agreement. The training and development needs of these staff will be reviewed and they will need to commit to undertake outstanding training or development, with the support of their employer.
Read the November 2017 jointly agreed statement which provides the latest update on the joint work to progress the national agreement.
Visit our ambulance workforce page to find out more and read the:
- jointly agreed FAQs on improved arrangements for NQPs impacted by the retrospective application of the national agreement
- new paramedic job description (Band 6)
- fast track scheme for NQP Consolidation of Learning Programme.