03 / 5 / 2017 Midnight
Annual leave and public holidays – Section 13
This page is a summary of section 13 of the terms and conditions handbook and provides advice on part time staff, annual leave calculations for shift working and pay during annual leave. This page should be read in conjunction with the full annual leave provisions which can be found in Section 13 of the NHS Terms and Conditions of Service Handbook
The table below outlines the number of days leave for staff dependent upon their length of service:
| Length of service
||Annual leave and Public Holiday entitlement
||27 days + 8 days
|After 5 years'
||29 days + 8 days
|After 10 years'
||33 days + 8 days
Some of the key points:
Part time staff
- A part time employees’ annual leave and entitlement to bank/public holidays is calculated on a pro-rata basis, rounded up to the nearest half day.
- A part time employee’s public holiday entitlement should be added to their annual leave entitlement and public holidays normally worked should be taken as annual leave.
Annual leave calculations for shift working
- Employees whose working day is either greater or fewer than 7.5 hours a day, on any day, will calculate their annual leave and public holiday entitlement in hours. Calculating entitlement in hours ensures that this group of employees do not receive either more or less leave than colleagues who work a standard pattern.
- Local arrangements to consolidate some or all of the general public holidays into annual leave may operate, subject to agreement at local level.
Pay during annual leave
- Pay during annual leave will include regularly paid supplements, including any recruitment and retention premia, payments for work outside normal hours and high cost area supplements. Pay is calculated on the basis of what the individual would have received had he/she been at work.
- This would be based on the previous three months at work or any other reference period that may be locally agreed.
If you are a member of staff and have a query, please contact your HR team or local trade union representative.
Employer queries should be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org.